Cristiano Ronaldo apologizes to fan over phone ‘outburst’ incident following Everton defeat




CNN

An incident related to the mobile phone of a football fan and Cristiano Ronaldo distance Manchester United 1-0 Premier League Saturday’s defeat to Everton prompted a police investigation and an apology from the Portugal international soccer star.

In a video circulating on social media, the 37-year-old Portuguese striker was recorded limping off the pitch at Goodison Park before appearing to bend over and swipe a mobile phone from the hands of a young fan.
A statement from Merseyside Police said they were in contact with both clubs regarding “reports of assault” after the match.

“While the players were leaving the field at 2.30pm, it was reported that a boy had been assaulted by one of the visiting team as they were leaving the field,” the statement read.

“Investigations are ongoing and officers are currently working with Everton Football Club to review CCTV footage and are conducting extensive investigations with witnesses to determine whether a crime occurred.”

An update on the incident will be released soon, once more information is gathered, a Merseyside police spokesperson told CNN on Monday.

Ronaldo apologized for his “revolution” and offered to take the fan to a match at Old Trafford in a message posted on Twitter. Instagram Saturday.

The defeat to relegation-fighting Everton dealt another major blow to United’s hopes of qualifying for the Champions League Next season, it leaves them in seventh place in the English Premier League and six points behind Tottenham Hotspur in fourth place.

The defeat at Goodison Park dealt a huge blow to Ronaldo and United's hopes of reaching the top four.

“It is never easy to deal with emotions in difficult moments like the ones we face,” Ronaldo said.

“However, we always have to be respectful, patient and set an example for all the young people who love this beautiful game.

“I would like to apologize for my outrage and, if possible, would like to invite this fan to watch a game at Old Trafford as a sign of fair play and sportsmanship.”

An Everton spokesman told CNN that the club had been trying to contact the boy’s mother to invite the duo to their next home game, a league match against Leicester City on April 20.

The spokesman added that the call was “to reassure the boy that such incidents are not the norm at football matches and hopefully give him a positive memory of visits to Goodison Park”.

Manchester United declined to comment on the incident, citing Ronaldo’s apology posted on social media to CNN.





Source link

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.